Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Calyx

It was that morning that I called a cab and handed the driver the directions. I was trying to act as calm as possible, however, I wasn’t doing very well. This was the day my father had promised to spend time with me. Now, before you say anything, I know how lame that sounds. It’s just, I never get to see him.
He’s a big time producer and he never has any time for me. And I don’t just mean he comes home late and leaves early. I mean it’s been about three weeks since I’ve actually gotten a glimpse of my father’s face. I am not kidding about that.

The cab driver nodded his head and started the car. I guess he knew where the fair was, because he discarded my directions on the seat next to him. I was glad to know he knew where he was going though, even if he had thrown aside directions that my father had written by hand.
Because truthfully, I was afraid.
I had a bad feeling about going to this fair with my father. I just, sometimes I wasn’t sure if I could trust him. I know he’s my father, and I should trust him with my life -and I do- but I just don’t know.
He’s not the type of man who will stay true to his word. I don’t usually believe his promises. Who knows though, right? Maybe this time it’s different. It’s a fair for pete’s sake. My father would not promise to go to a fair with me just to break my trust. He’s not that disloyal.

“Hey kid,” the cab driver wasn’t looking at me, but I could tell he was trying to get my attention.
“Hmm?” I mumbled.
“Are you falling asleep?” The cab driver was turning on his right signal now, waiting to make a turn.
“No I was just...thinking.” I didn’t bother wiping the dreamy look off my face.
“Ahh,” he sighed. “I think I can safely say we’ve all been there.” This time, he tapped the side of his head for effect, as if to suggest he understood. But that was absurd. He had no clue what was actually going on in my life. Just like my father. And everyone else.
“I doubt it,” I smiled knowingly, pretending I was interested in making conversation. Although, in actual fact, I wasn’t concentrating on what anyone was saying right now. I was more interested in what was about to happen. I was going to a fair, and I would be waiting for my father. I was placing my trust in a man that had never been there for me.
Wait, stop. That’s no true. He’s been there for me. Just not in the right way. But that can’t be his fault. Not at all.

I let my head fall to the window, resting my ear on the edge of the car’s frame. The cab driver didn’t bother disrupting me again, which I was thankful for. I needed some quiet time to think, before I see my dad...for real.

Moments later, I felt someone’s hands on my shoulder, shaking me gently.
“Hey kid.” It was the cab driver again. He was looking at my sternly.
“You’re here.”
I smiled secretly to myself, realizing I’d just fallen asleep in a strangers car. That was one of my fears. A stupid fear, I know, but a fear none the less.
I reached into my wallet and handed the man some bills.
“Thanks for the ride,” I mentioned. He simply nodded and started the car up again. Within seconds, he was off. And I was waiting at the end of a long road. Without thinking, I began to walk forward, assuming this was the way to the fair. If I had been any stupider today, I might have gotten myself killed by a loony cab driver. But luckily for me, the nice man who drove me here got me to the right place.
Or, what seemed like the right place.
I’m not sure. I’ve never been to a proper fair before, but this place with the tents and excitement walking around blindly seems like the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment