Saturday, January 23, 2010

Fable

As soon as she realized I couldn’t run as fast as her, Calyx pulled me up onto her back and sprinted far away from whoever told us to run. She was quiet, but I didn’t want to invade her thoughts. It seemed like she needed her privacy.

Bia trailed behind us, her face paler than normal. I wanted to say something to her, but I couldn’t find the right words. Besides, she was off in her own world anyway. My words wouldn’t make a difference.

We finally started to slow down when we reached a forest. I couldn’t tell how big it was, as we were only a couple feet in. But it was darker than it had been in the parking lot and the air was cooler. Whatever we were running from wouldn’t find us here.

“I’m scared,” I whimpered.
Calyx set me down on the ground carefully. “Don’t be. We’re fine. It’s all fine.”

Bia caught up with us and flopped onto the ground. She was panting heavily as if she didn’t run at all. Ever.

“This is insane. Why are we running? What are we running from? What if it was a prank?” Bia grumbled.
Calyx clicked her tongue. “It seemed real enough to me. Besides, better to be safe than sorry.”
I nodded.

A bird flew by where we were standing and chirped loudly. I wanted to ask it if we were okay, but birds never liked me that much. Instead, I sat down next to Bia.
“Where’d Ivy go?” she asked.
I looked around. “Not here.”
“I don’t know… she wasn’t that far away when we started running,” Calyx stuttered. “But maybe she found safety.”
Bia bit her bottom lip. “I hope she’s okay.”
“Me too,” I nodded.

Calyx sat down next to me, her leg almost touching Bia’s stomach. I decided to lie down as well. Maybe I’d fall asleep and wake up to find this all a dream. I rested my head on Bia’s chest so I could listen to her heartbeat. The tha-thump told me we’d be okay. Bia was calm.

“I think I’m going to see where we are,” Calyx said suddenly. She stood up and walked away from us.

I felt a hand stroking my hair softly and I closed my eyes. Bia’s fingers grazed my cheek as if she was more than a stranger to me. She knew me. This was obvious.

“I’ve never had a little sister,” she whispered. “But I think this is what it’s like.”
I opened my eyes. “You’re nicer than any of my big sisters.”

Bia sat up, forcing me to sit up as well. I glared at her. She wrapped me in a tight hug.

I listened to her heart beat faster now and I wondered if she was afraid. Was she terrified?

“Do you think Ivy’s okay?” she asked.
“I don’t know. I hope she is,” I replied.
Bia stopped hugging me. “She’s gorgeous. I wish I could look like her.”
“Or look at her?” I smiled.
“What?”
My finger twitched. “Nothing. I meant nothing.”

Calyx came running back to us, her cheeks red and her hair somewhat frizzy. She seemed worried.

“I found Ivy,” she said breathlessly. “She’s sitting behind this huge tree near a small stream.”
Bia stood up. “Is she okay?”
“She’s crying,” Calyx sighed.
I scrambled over to Calyx and plucked a twig off of her shirt. “Why?”
“Does it matter why? We have to go make sure she’s okay,” Bia cried. “She could be hurt.”
Calyx shook her head. “She’s not bleeding. She’s just upset.”
“That’s hurt. In a different way though.” Bia took off in the direction Calyx had come from.

We had no choice but to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment