Thursday, January 21, 2010

Elin

My heart jumped. His father was Traven? The legendary Traven, who lead my mother's generation to safety? The one who guided my parents to safety? The one who my mother described as a genuine gentlemen, the one who was so knowledgeable about the Hourglass? Then it dawned on me.

I began to scrutinize Jack's face looking for the similarities. I slipped out a small wad of pictures out of my back pocket, searching through them until I came across his. “He is your dad?” I made a gesture toward the picture of a slightly chubby man in his early thirties. Neat blond hair and sad, far away eyes, the same color as Jack's, filled the frame.

“Why in the world are you carrying around a picture of my fath-”

“That makes so much sense!” I shouted, cutting him off.

“Wait… you know him?” Brady cut in.

“I know of him; I have never met him.” I let my eyes draw toward Brady, then flash back to Jack. How was I going to ask him about his powers without letting Brady know? I wasn't sure if Brady was trustworthy enough. “Plants... does the natural earth react around him in a strange way? Does it respond to him? Does he ever go into a… lets call it a trance. Have you ever seen Jack fall into a trance?” I spoke, watching Jack. Jack's eyebrow made a slight movement before he turned to Brady and gave him the death stare as if to say, "don’t tell her".

“The future or the past!” I blurted out. Brady stared at me as if I was crazy. Everyone else just stood there, not knowing what to make of this situation. If Jack walked away now, whatever attacked them before, would surely get him while he had no defense. “You know your father was a Protector, twice.” I mumbled trying to grab his attention. “He helped my mother, you know, and he knew so much. What I wouldn’t give to meet him.” Jack stood there beside the cooler. I hoped that I left enough of a hook to keep him interested, at least until I could explain a little more of his importance. Through I had already said so much. Would I have to resort to drastic measures?

No comments:

Post a Comment