Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Calyx

At the end of the long winding road, there was a huge place with colorful tents and lots of people. It was exactly this moment in time when I realized I was currently in a bit of a tough spot. My father simply told me to meet him at the fair.
He never told me where, or how. Or even when.
So here I am, stuck in large groups of people, with no idea how I’m going to find my father. Or even if I want to.
But, this can’t be his fault. I never asked him to be more specific. So this is my fault. Not his.
Jeez, I’m smart. Now I’m going to look like an idiot.

After walking around aimlessly for a few minutes, I saw Jason Tucker, standing near the exterior of a tent. He hadn’t seen me yet, but I was standing in plain view. I knew I was in an awkward situation. But I wasn’t sure how to get out.
I mean, if I ran away, it’d be rude to Jason. And not to mention my father. But if I stayed, Jason might get offended that I came after all. Especially when I’d said I was busy.
Because now I’m here, alone.
If he saw me, it’d make him think that I didn’t want to be here with him. Which, would be mean. And I can’t do that.

I began to search around me. To my right, there was a medium tent with a clear sign that read FORTUNE TELLER in big bold letters. On impulse, I ducked into the tent.
Inside, there was a young girl sitting at a table with a bright turban and a colorful outfit on. She smiled up at me, and asked if I wanted my fortune told.
“Oh no thanks, I’m just waiting for someone.” I decided it might be easier just to face Jason.
“You’re hiding from someone,” she informed me. That freaked me out a bit, because how would she know, but then again, it was obvious. The way I was couching in a tent, looking out to make sure no one was there and all.
“Yes I’m hiding from someone. And this is really important to me. Don’t give me away, okay?” The young girl glanced outside, then into my eyes.
“You’re dad’s not coming. You should enjoy the fair, without him.” It was at this point that I sat down in the other chair at the table and looked into the young girl’s eyes.
“How did you know about my father?” I asked discreetly.
She shrugged her shoulders and smiled knowingly. “Lucky guess.”
I gave her a look of disbelief.
That wasn’t a lucky guess. I was a complete stranger. Beside that fact, it was very rude of her to barge into my life with all those personal assumptions.
“You don’t know my father. He’ll be here.” I played a convincing smile.
“You don’t know your father either.” Her smile fell completely when she said that.
“What do you mean by that? Of course I know my father. I know him.”
“If you know him, then you’ll know he’s not coming.” The young girl wasn’t smiling anymore, and I sort of wish she was. Without her smile, she looked so sad, so lonely. So out of place.
“Alright. I give. You can tell me my fortune.”

No comments:

Post a Comment