Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ember

I stood up, brushing the dirt off my arms. A girl that looked about 17 or 18 years old stood before me. The girl I was supposed to stay with for god knows how long. She had light brown hair that hung straight down to about her shoulders. It was weird that not one strand of hair was out of place. No frizzyness. She looked at me with bright blue eyes which had a reluctant look to them. She was taller than me, but she was really skinny.

I crossed my arms over my chest and puffed a strand of hair out of my face. She shifted to her other foot uncomfortably. I glanced behind her, where my parents were standing in the doorway holding a bag of my stuff. This was stupid.

“ Uh, I’m Elin.” She smiled, offering a handshake.
“ Whatever.” I grumbled, stepping past her.
“ Wha- Uh..” She stuttered, turning to follow me.
“ You’re um, Ember right?” She asked, walking beside me now.
“ Yeah.”
“ Oh.” She said quietly.

I walked into her house, and my Mom came walking down the stairs.
“ I put your clothes in the spare bedroom for now.” She looked between me and Elin.
“ Thanks.” Elin said cheerfully. Too damn cheerfully.

I just rolled my eyes and walked back outside. I sat down on the wooden steps and hugged my knees to my chest.

“ She’s just upset that she has to leave her friends. Give her time.” I heard my Mom inform Elin.
“ I get it.” Elin answered.

The hell she does.

This whole thing was stupid.

“ Hey kiddo.”

I looked up as my Dad sat next to me. I couldn’t help but give him a smile, forgetting for a second that he participated in sending me to this random girl’s house.

“ You be good.” He told me.

I frowned. That’s what parents say before they leave.

“ Don’t go. Not yet.” I whispered. His green eyes changed. Their brightness dimmed and seemed to fill with pain.

“ I’m sorry.” He replied.

“ Dad?”

He put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close to him. His hug enveloped me, and childhood memories ran through my mind. I had only seen him a few times, but every time was filled with these hugs. It wasn’t weird around him like it should be. I felt like he knew me, even though he missed out on so much of my life.

A single tear slipped down my face as he began to pull away. I barely ever cried. My dad wiped the tear away and stood up. My mom came out and sighed. I stood up and let her wrap me in one of her hugs too.

“ You be good.” She recited the same parental line.

“ No promises.” I gave her a smile. She looked at me with narrowed eyes, but then pulled me into another hug.

“ See ya.” I called to them as they got into the car.

They didn’t answer.

I ignored the sick feeling in my stomach, and waved goodbye. I stared at the road for a while even after their car disappeared.

“ What do you think you want for dinner?” I heard Elin ask from behind me. I turned and looked at her. I looked at her long and hard, then I just shook my head.

“ You don’t have to talk to me. My parents will be back soon, and if I can just deal with you until then that would be good. Don’t act like my babysitter cause you’re not. “ I told her in a calm but serious voice, narrowing an intense stare on her.

She gave me an uneasy look, and disappeared back into the house. Well that showed her.

...Crap.

What am I supposed to eat for dinner now?

No comments:

Post a Comment