Saturday, January 23, 2010

Ryder

Blossom tilted her head slightly to the side. I sucked in an even breath, feeling sure of what I was about to do. For whatever reason, I felt that I could trust Blossom. Even though I barely knew her for a day or two. She had been there for me, without even really being there.

I stood up, and stood next to the pond. My dirtied sneakers barely touching the water. Blossom waited, her soft breathing fading into the breeze. I bent down, and cupped my hands together. I carefully slid my hands under the surface, gathering the clear water into a single pool in my palms.

I sat back slowly, keeping my eyes trained on the water so I wouldn’t spill. Blossom watched my hands as I sat down carefully in front of her. I glanced up at her blue eyes. They were patient and curious rather than confused and irritated. I looked back down at my hands and relaxed my tense shoulders. I concentrated on keeping my breathing perfect and even, my hands steady. I let my eyelids shut and I ran my tongue over my bottom lip. Then I opened my eyes and stared down at the water. It rippled, and I began moving my cupped hands apart. The water stayed in place, wavering slightly and forming into a nearly perfect sphere. A smile spread across Blossom’s lips, her eyes wide.

I kept pulling my hands farther away, until they were resting in my lap. Blossom reached up slowly, hesitating for only a second. Her finger stretched out, her eyes glistening. When her fingertip touched the water, it sunk in about an inch, then burst. Blossom jumped back and giggled, a sweet sound. Like music. “That was… pretty.” She whispered. And for the first time in a long time, I smiled. I tried to bite my cheeks to stop, but I couldn’t. It was a shock really. No, “HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!” or, “YOU’RE WEIRD!

Blossom touched her finger softly to the back of my hand. I looked down at her hand and then back up at her eyes. “We are the same.” She said softly, smiling.

I gave her a confused look, and she sat back, looking up at the trees and pursing her lips. Then she squinted her eyes and I noticed the breeze start picking up. It became more of a wind, and the cascading petals from the tree above us started swirling around. And that’s when I realized what she had meant. She wasn’t surprised when I showed her my way of moving water. She could do the same with air.

No comments:

Post a Comment