Friday, January 22, 2010

Fable

Chocolate ice cream might possibly be the best thing in the world.

Bia chose it for me, saying it was her favourite when she was nine. I spent two whole minutes trying to picture Bia as a nine year old, and all I got was a wavy-dark-haired pale girl in a white tank top and freakishly skinny jeans.

I’d have to check that against a memory of hers later.

For now, though, I could eat my amazing chocolate cone. The one that currently was spread out on my hands and face, as Bia informed me.

While Calyx rebounded from being stabbed with the Epi-something, I watched her talk to this insanely thin blonde girl who’s evil seeped through her skin.

“Ugh, my mom signed me up for this university prep summer camp,” the girl was droning.
Calyx blinked. “University camp? Lucky!”
The blonde girl, Ivy, laughed. Then she realized Calyx wasn’t joking. “Oh. Um, you like that kind of stuff?”

Bia let out a snort she’d been holding in for awhile. Apparently she knew Calyx better than I did. What was she thinking?

I prodded her brain for the most current thought thread. It was lurking in a shadow.

“Calyx Baker is SUCH an overachiever. I’m surprised she hasn’t tackled this blonde freak show by now for information on that camp.”

Nice, Bia. Real nice.

“She’s really nice though.” I sent my thought to Bia.
Bia returned with, “but too nice. She’s sugary sweet and sometimes it’s not the best thing.”

I couldn’t figure out what to say to that, so I left it and went to see what else she was thinking. Before I could find any other thought threads, a big wall slammed into me.

“OW!” I howled.

Calyx and Ivy looked at me with surprise.
“What? What’s wrong?”

What could I say? I can’t read Bia’s thoughts? She shoved a block into my head?
No. That wouldn’t work.

I had to think quickly.
There had to be something I could say…

“Brain freeze,” Bia thought in my direction.
Before I could ask her what that was, I found the words coming out of my own mouth.
Ivy grinned. “We’ve all been there before, cutie.”
“Cutie will bite you,” I thought projected towards her.

She reeled back in confusion. I smiled.

“So, yeah, if you want to hang with me and my dork brother, you know, just give me a call. I’m always looking for new friends, especially ones as cool as you,” Ivy lied.
I looked over at Bia to see her mouthing along, a very frustrated expression on her face. I giggled.
“Of course! Um, let me put your number in my phone. I’ll lose it if it’s just on a napkin,” Calyx said meekly. “And thanks for saving my life.”
“Oh, it was nothing. My brother doesn’t even need his Epi-Pen. He pretends so Mom will like him more, like that’ll ever happen.” Ivy’s shrill voice sent shivers down my back.

My eyes traveled back over to Bia, who was now staring at the remains of her ice cream cone. Why did she block me? How did she even know how to do that? And what thought could be so important that I couldn’t know?

That look in her eyes was scaring me. Maybe Calyx had noticed it too? I glanced over at her; no. She was busy talking to the freak.

“Calyx,” I thought projected. “What’s wrong with Bia?”
She looked over her shoulder for a second, then turned to me. “I don’t know.”
“Something’s wrong,” I insisted.
“Can I get back to my conversation? Whatever she’s dealing with she obviously wants to do in private.” Calyx glared at me then turned back to Ivy. “You were saying?”

Ivy launched into a whole other tirade on boys or something along those lines. I tuned her out and tried to focus on Bia, who was now watching Ivy with fascination. Um, what?

No comments:

Post a Comment