Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Calyx

And just like that, a secret was out. But not just any secret. My secret. And who had outed said secret? The perky little surprise sitting cross legged on my kitchen tower. Lovely.
I suppose I shouldn’t be rude about this though. Because I’ve seen how Fable lives. She has a power, apparently, and she was being forced to use it. Which is something that should most definitely NOT be forced upon anyone.
These powers, as she so happily called them, are not a gift. They are dangerous. Don’t they get that? Well, maybe not. Maybe they don’t see it that way.
But I do.
And I don’t understand what they have to do with this. I mean, my whole life, I though I was just a freak, and now Bia goes and tell me she’s been like me this whole time? Maybe it’s meant to be. I mean, us. The both of us.
We’ve known each other forever.
So why not have matching freak-like powers too?

“Well that’s peachy. But I don’t understand why ...” I paused. Fable was it?
“I don’t understand why Fable wanted to come see me. Or why she needed me.”
“Excuuuuse me! Fable is in this room!” Fable glared at me for a moment but then quickly lost interest as she moved from my counter top to my floor and began to make snow angels on my kitchen tiles.
“I don’t know. She was just wandering the streets looking for you.” Bia looked slightly awkward, standing in my doorway like that. I decided I’d invite her in, properly. Also, I wanted to shut the door. No one needed to be hearing about all this.

I rubbed my temples and realized I was still in my enormous fluffy housecoat from last night, my hair a mess, and probably my face covered in yesterday’s make up.
“Alright. Well, let’s all go into the living room and figure this out. I don’t think this is a matter that should be discussed with the door open.”

As I said that, I began to lead Bia and Fable into my family/living room. No one ever used this room, so when I sat down, the couch felt sort of, ghostly. This was probably the first time someone has ever sat on this couch.
“Mmkay. So, you mind catching me up on things? I don’t know what’s going on here, but apparently we all have super natural ‘powers’ and...wait. Fable, did you tell anyone that you left. Like, does your mother know you’re here?”
Fable looked up from the couch she had claimed. She was sprawled out on the entire left half of the couch. It looked like she wanted to take up the entire thing, but she was very small.
“Nooo… I told you already.” At this point, Fable looked a little guilty.
So wait, she’d run away from home? Great. I’ve kidnapped a child. I am going to be arrested.

“Lovely. Hey, Fable, do you have a bathing suit? I’ve got a pool in backyard if you guys want to go swimming....”
Fable stared up at my in amazement.
“What’s a bathing suit?” she demanded.
“Uh, never mind. Bia, do you want to borrow one of my bathing suits? It’s way to hot to be inside right now, and I haven’t used the pool in forever. I’ve probably got an old swim suit somewhere in the basement that might fit Fable, so, you know, if you want to borrow one...we can, go...swimming.”

I wasn’t sure what to do with myself.
To be honest, I hadn’t had anyone over in a long time. I didn’t like bringing people over because of the state of my house. I mean, my father’s never home, and my mother’s well, my mother passed away, and I just didn’t really want to have people over to invade that part of my life.

But now I’ve got Bia -the last person I thought I’d ever have sitting in my living room- and Fable, someone who I just met, and I am really confused.
So they’ve got powers.
They are like me.

But the questions is, am I like them?

No comments:

Post a Comment