Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Elin

I placed the pictures of my parents down, and gazed up at the small hand of the ticking clock on the wall above me. Four hours until my last exam of grade eleven. The pressure of schooling was no longer weighed on me, it was trumped by the obligation to find the protectors.
“I know they will all find their way together eventually,” I murmured in the empty room, “but they won’t know how to use their powers. They will know nothing about how important they are.”

I sighed as I stood up, stretching my legs from the place they had been frozen. I flipped through the pictures one last time before I had to overcome the reality that it was up to me now.
“But where am I supposed to start looking for them?” I asked aloud.
A picture of a small teenager slipped through the pile landing on the hardwood floor. Dana, I had heard about her powers of fire, and her struggle to control it. Her and my mother were friends, I often heard them on the phone laughing.

“That’s it!” I waltzed over to the stand the phone was on, tearing out the phone book.
Maybe she can help me, or even better, she could find them. She grasped the importance of finding them early on.
“Pyra, Pyrel, Pyro!” I gazed over the names until I found the one I wanted. Alex Pyro.

I quickly picked up the phone and began to dial the number listed on the tinted page. My body tensed as the phone rung the first time. My heart rate increased.

Dana and Alex had gone through so much; would they really help some powerless girl? Would they even know who I was?

“Hello? Who is this?” A feminine voice summoned.
“I-” My voice got caught in my thought, “Is this Dana?”
“Who is this?” The woman pressed again.
“It’s Elin. Elin Littlefield.”
The woman’s voice shook a little, matching the tone of mine, “El-Elin? Is everything okay with your parents? Where are they? What are -”
“I don’t know,” I cut her off, “My parents left last night. They told me to find them. They told me that the powers have been passed.”
“Yes,” Dana said with regret, “Erin called us when she lost hers.”
I could feel my face go pale. My mother was proud to be one of the few that had powers. Now she didn’t have them anymore?
“Can you help me find them?” My voice was barely a whisper.
“I can’t,” She said calmly, “I no longer have my powers either.”

No comments:

Post a Comment