Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Elin

I crept down the stairs trying not to wake the young Pyro. The floor seemed to moan in protest with every other step I took. I quickly glanced into the spare room to see a small unmoving head of hair. I smirked, applauding myself in not waking up the guest.

A small tan plate rested in the middle of the counter that was lined with three small stools signifying that Ember had eaten the food I left out for her despite her rebellious nature.

Silently I continued to whisk together the batter for waffles and I quickly pressed them into our waffle maker. While I waited for the batter to cook I chopped up some apples, laying them on the sides of the two plates sprawled out in front of me.

The soft click of the light turning off alerted me that I would be one step closer to having to socialize with the girl and break the soothing silence of the house.

I tiptoed my way towards the spare room once again not wanting to wake her if I didn’t have to. I placed the food on a small table. I couldn’t help but see the peaceful face of an angry person. A small smile was placed on her face, she was likely watching an old memory of someone she would not see today.

I sat in the silence I was used to eating my food and watching the girl sleeping. I had gotten good at finding emotions in people because when my parents conversed using my mothers mind reading ability I could do nothing but watch the small twitches in their faces that gave everything away.

I decided to leave before Ember woke up, I excited the room leaving the door to creek shut behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment