Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Ember

I slammed the car door behind me, scrunching down in the seat angrily. My dad took the drivers seat while my mom took the passenger’s, ignoring my dramatic entrance. I rolled down the window, sucking in the warm summer air.

“ Ember, put your seat belt on.” My mom instructed, glancing back at me.
“ No.” I grumbled. She just sighed.

“ How long will I be gone?” I asked, as the car backed out of the driveway. Neither of them answered. A sick feeling crept it’s way into my stomach. I wondered when the next time I would play baseball with the guys. I wondered how long it would be when we played tag around the neighborhood. I wondered if me and Jamie would ever again climb the apple tree’s barefoot. The really tall ones that grow at the back of his yard.

I sighed again when we passed our baseball field. I hoped the guys wouldn’t be too mad if I missed a few games. One summer me and my mom went on a vacation fro two and a half weeks, and they complained a little about having one less player…

She doesn’t expect me to stay with this girl for more than two weeks, does she? Nah. She wouldn’t even send me to a sleep away camp for a week and a half. She wouldn’t send me away for more than a week.

I nestled myself into the seat more comfortably, thoughts of kick ball games and barefoot tag floating into my mind. My parents said the drive was about three hours away, which did not make me happy. But even so, the memories of all the great times I had with my best friends began to relax me. It wasn’t long before I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment